Christopher Thacker, CPI
Associate and Inspector
- Licensed by the Louisiana State Board of Home Inspectors, Licensed Home Inspector No. 10913
- Member of the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI), No. 16010622
- Certified Professional Inspector (NACHI)
- Certificate of Achievement, National Home Inspector Examination
- Graduate of National Association of Certified Home Inspectors Training Program
- Facilities Maintenance, NSA Tracking Station, Bermuda, 1995-1999
- BFA, Guilford College, 1999
- BA, Media Arts and Graphic Design, Tulane University, 2004
- Former Managing Editor/Art Director, Where Y’at Magazine, 2004-2009
- Art Director/Production Designer – Mid City Bayou Boogaloo, 2009-present
- Renovated or repaired over 25 homes across New Orleans, 2003-present
Chris was born in Winchester, in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, and grew up in nearby Roanoke and Lynchburg. He moved overseas, living in Bermuda for 10 years and attending boarding school in upstate New York and college in Greensboro, North Carolina. Chris moved to New Orleans for graduate school in studio arts and decided to stay and put down roots after so many years of moving around. While working as a graphic designer and handling production design for festivals, he did construction work, helping remodel and renovate mostly historic properties. Earlier, during school breaks and holidays in Bermuda, he worked on the facilities and maintenance team at a NASA tracking station, learning first-hand as an apprentice to the painters, welders, electricians, masons and other skilled tradesmen on the site.
As Chris did more and more contracting work, he bought his own historic properties to renovate and rent out. Around this time, he realized that his diagnostic skills and knowledge of the building and construction trades would enable him to inspect homes and properties for prospective buyers, without himself having to do the actual repair and maintenance work. A realtor friend introduced Chris to Tom Axelrad and he joined the Axelrad team after getting his license in late 2014. Currently, Chris has nearly fulfilled the requirements to be certified a master inspector and will soon apply for this specialized certification.
For Chris, one of the most satisfying aspects of the work is the ability to see many peoples’ homes and experience their unique architecture and history in an up-close and personal way. He enjoys seeing what people have done with their homes, the interior finishes, design, fixtures they’ve used, and how they have solved construction and architectural challenges. It’s a great way to remain current on design trends and gain insights into the real estate and renovation market. Chris finds it incredibly rewarding to thoroughly assess a property and educate prospective buyers, helping them make an informed decision.
Chris and his wife have two daughters, and together they enjoy exploring the waterways around New Orleans and Louisiana’s Gulf Coast on their 29-foot Ericson sailboat. Chris has sailed all the way to Key West and back and enjoys mountain biking when he has the opportunity.